Monday, March 23, 2009

Spreading the news...

     For the past month or so, I have been extremely anxious to share our special news with my students.  I wasn't sure when the right time would be or how long I should wait, but either way I figured the time would just "feel" right.  That feeling came today and I was super excited to share the exciting news with my class.  
     A while ago, I created a math worksheet that not only would help my kids with multiplication and division, but would have a riddle to go along with the fun.  As they found answers to these problems, they had to match a letter with the answers at the bottom to solve a riddle that if correct would read, "Mrs. Johnson is having a baby!!"  Having that ready and in a special place, I decided to pull it out today after a draining day of teaching expanded form for decimals greater than one.  I told my kids this was just a practice sheet so we can get better for our fourth grade fact drills and there would be a fun message at the end.  I told them it was kind of "good gossip" and that I bet they would be really excited to be the first one done and the first one to know the gossip that only some people at Gocio knew.  Well they totally bought into it and I have never seen them race to finish so fast!!  Jasmine was the first to finish and very excited to spread the word.  It was truly a special moment and the reaction that I received was wonderful!

     Here are just a few of the reactions from my lovely bunch:
              - "Mrs. Johnson, I don't get it... you aren't fat!"
              - "Is it a boy? Is it a girl? Can WE name it?!?!"
              - "Will the baby come and play with us at school?"

           And this one happens to be my favorite.....
              - "Does Mr. Johnson know about this?!"

     The kids responded exactly how I had hoped... they truly are loving kids.  As we hugged and high-fived goodbye today, one student rubbed my stomach.  I didn't feel so comfortable with this, so I quickly told the class that when they hug me, they are also hugging the baby, that no rubs were needed!  Also, another little girl looked right at my stomach and said "Bye, Baby."  Awww no matter how some kids can really push your buttons and test your limits, they are full of love, just waiting to be shared! :)

2 comments:

Susan said...

When I had my oldest...in a far different world...I was teaching Kindergarten. They took a field trip to the hospital the day after I gave birth to see me and the baby. It was so special!!

I love it that you did this, Liz! And their reactions are just priceless!!

cara said...

That is so precious. Hope you are feeling well. It sounds like you are getting ready for this little blessing. I am leaving for a couple of weeks and hope to get together with you when I return. Will you be at Opening Day?